Kitchen Fires

Fires originate in the kitchen more often than any other room of the house, and a large number of  injuries are caused by improper reaction to kitchen fires.

The most frequent causes for kitchen fires are:

  • Grease ignited within unattended pans.
  • Combustibles too close to cooking facilities.
  • Excess grease on and around cooking facilities.
  • Faulty kitchen appliances, such as toasters, can openers, etc.,

Extinguishing Grease Fires Within A Pan

  • In the event of a grease fire within a pan, first turn off the heat source. Do not run with the pan of burning grease or throw water or flour on the fire.
  • Use another pan to cover the pan of grease that is burning.
  • Baking soda may be used to cover the burning grease. The baking soda should not be stored over or adjacent to the stove.
  • Use a proper, readily available fire extinguisher to fight the fire with a dry chemical or CO2.

Extinguishing Grease Fires Outside a Pan

  • Should a grease fire occur outside of a pan, first turn off the heat source.
  • Avoid throwing water or flour onto the fire, instead use baking soda or a proper fire extinguisher.

Extinguishing Oven Fires

  • First, turn off the heat source.
  • Close the oven door and leave it closed. If the fire does not go out, use baking soda or a proper fire extinguisher.

Extinguishing Combustibles Ignited By Cooking Facilities

  • Use a readily available, proper fire extinguisher.
  • Do not try to remove the burning material until the fire has been extinguished.
  • Even if you are able to extinguish a kitchen fire on your own, call the Fire Department as they can assist with clean up and smoke removal.

More Information

See more information on preventing kitchen fires.