Safety Tips for Businesses
Practice Good Security
Good security practices can save time and money and make your business less of a target for crime. The Fairfield Police Department recommends the following:
- Make strategic use of exterior and interior lighting. Exterior lighting should illuminate all entrances, such as doors, windows, and alleys. Interior lighting should be used to reduce hiding places for burglars.
- Make it difficult for burglars to access your business. Use heavy, solid doors and commercial grade security locks. Ensure sure that skylights, vents, loading docks and other openings can be secured.
- Do not keep large amounts of cash on the premises. Use a drop safe or make bank deposits at varying times of the day. Advertise that only small amounts of cash are on hand at any given time.
- Alarm systems can serve as a deterrent and help to apprehend burglars. Ensure that your alarm system is properly installed, regularly serviced, used correctly by employees, and sufficiently advertised to would-be intruders.
- Report any suspicious activity in or around your business to the police.
- Contact the Fairfield Police Department at 513-896-8292 to arrange for a free security survey of your business or a crime prevention presentation.
Complete the Emergency Contact Form
The Fairfield Police Department maintains a business contact file in the event the police department needs to contact business owners or their representatives after normal business hours. In the event of a burglary or other emergency, it may be necessary for the police department to contact you or one of your employees in order to respond and secure your business. A Business Contact Form may be obtained at the Fairfield Police Department or may be completed online. The information obtained for the contact file is used for official police business only.
To learn more about how to protect your business, contact the Community Services Division at 513-867-6094.