I have business expenses, can I claim them?

As of 2018 you can no longer claim 2106 expenses. For tax year prior to 2018 you can claim 2106 expenses against your W-2 income, subject to Federal limitations. However, if the wages were earned in another city, and taxes were withheld for that city, you would need to go back to that city and get a refund. If the other city's rate is less than our rate, you would be able to get a proportionate share of the expenses against the W-2 income. Please note, if you do get a refund from the other city, the credit claimed on your return for those taxes will be reduced and you will end up owing the balance to the City of Fairfield.

Show All Answers

1. Does the City collect the personal property taxes paid by businesses located in Fairfield?
2. When are you open?
3. Do I need to file a return?
4. How soon can I expect my refund?
5. My company will not withhold Fairfield taxes. What can I do?
6. Am I a resident of Fairfield? Is a property located in Fairfield?
7. If I have W-2 income and a schedule, can I use a schedule loss against my W-2?
8. Does Fairfield have a school district tax?
9. I have rental property, do I need to file on the property with Fairfield?
10. Do I have to file under the same status as I do my federal and state returns?
11. I have business expenses, can I claim them?
12. I have moved out of Fairfield, but keep getting letters and/or returns from you, what do I need to do?
13. How do I get a return?
14. What needs to be included with my return?
15. How do I handle credit for taxes paid to other cities?