Permits & Specifications

Construction work performed within the city’s right-of-way must be inspected by the Public Works Department for conformance to the Specifications Handbook. This includes sidewalk, driveway aprons, curb, gutter, storm drainage, sewer line tie-ins, water main tie-ins, street construction and/or repairs, and street cuts.


Depending on the type of work involved, one or more permits may be required from the City prior to construction in the right-of-way. For these projects, appropriate permit applications and fees must be submitted at the Fairfield Municipal Building, 5350 Pleasant Avenue. For more information, view the Permit Request Policy (PDF).

Block parties also require a permit.

Curb Cut/Driveway Permit

This permit is required for the modification or repair of new and existing driveways between the property line and the street. The curb cut/driveway permit application (PDF) fee is $10 for residential driveways and $25 for commercial driveways.  Additional information (PDF) for applicants is available.

Sidewalk not in the driveway does not require a permit.  However, an inspection is required.  Call 867-4200 24 hours in advance to schedule the inspection.

Right of Way Permit

The Right-of-Way Permit Application is required for any work that will be done within the public right of way, except for an open cut or bore, which requires a separate permit. All work within the right of way must include restoration within the City’s standards. There is no cost for this permit.  Submit the Right-of-Way Permit Application in person to the Public Works Facility or electronically.

Open Road Cut Permit

The Open Road Cut permit is required for any project involving an open construction cut in a public roadway. All open cuts must also be restored in accordance with city specifications. The Open Road Cut Permit Application (PDF) fee is $20.

Storm Sewer Connection Permit

The Storm Sewer Connection Permit Application (PDF) is required for constructing a connection with the public storm sewer system. Per City regulations, such a connection can only be used to discharge stormwater, building foundation drainage and other unpolluted water.  The fee for this permit is determined by Fairfield Codified Ordinance 925.07(a).

Railroad Crossing Permit

The Railroad Crossing permit is required for a temporary road closure at a railroad crossing. There is no cost to submit an application for the Railroad Crossing Permit (PDF).   Submit the Railroad Crossing Permit Application in person to the Public Works Facility or electronically.

Block Party Permit

The Block Party permit is required to close a street to traffic. There is $25 deposit to submit an application for the Block Party Permit (PDF).  Some streets are not available for block parties.  All block parties must comply with established rules.